That is super fantastic, wonderful and dandy.
Really it is but that’s all you get. You know why?
No one should get rewarded for simply doing what is right.
I don’t like you more because I know you are one of the good ones. I expect you to be one of the good ones anyway. Doing what is right is not some sort of pass, authority or even something to be celebrated. You are doing the right thing. Doing the right thing should not be abnormal.Doing the right thing should not be something to stand up and clap for. When was the last time someone gave you a standing ovation or even a pat on the back for not running over a child with your car?
If anything, being treated as an oddity should make you weep. It should make you step back and say “How horrible is the world we live in that I am getting praise for not being a racist?”
If you are looking for praise, your “Ally Status” is fake.
I appreciate you. Truly I do but that’s all I have for you. I am glad that you exist. I am glad that you are on the side of right but that is all I have for you. That is all I can give. I don’t have any actual gratitude if that is what you need. I just can’t help you with that. I can’t be grateful for/to you. I can only be happy that you exist as I am happy all good people exist.
This was tagged #no cookies for being a decent human being. Seriously though.
oh the bit about weeping when someone thanks you for basic standard of human decency, every time. and then i go and gush over every trans-tolerant cis person :3
yeaaaaaah i do this all the time
hell i do this when trans people don’t act like i need to pick a side already
this has been very relevant lately.
I just seen a post over to Matt Kailey’s blog that was all about, “Why to trans people treat our allies so mean?” And this letter-writer said, “Why do we forget about the A in LGBT - for *Allies*?” And just, yeah…I didn’t comment because what can you say?
I’m coming from the perspective of a bisexual female who came out in the eighties. So here it goes:
Standing up for something you know is right is making oneself a target. To take a stand on anything against the status quo and a false norm often puts one directly in the line of fire. Doing the right thing is not the norm, when the norm is bigotry, brutality, and taking any and all measures against any perceived deviation. From those who supported and demonstrated for female suffrage, abolition, the right of a woman to have an abortion, the right to form a union, to have a safe workplace, for the right of the ‘other’ to be treated as a human being with all the dignity and rights of the majority - that has been a danger to life and limb.
We are seen as ‘other’ - allies are seen as traitors.
A decent human being is not the norm. It never has been. And anyone who stands at my side in the face of hate, brutality, oppression is an exceptional human being, brave and full of grace. Anyone who embraces me, accepts me, when all they hear is how I am an abomination and there need to be LAWS against me, they are the ‘righteous amongst the nations’ - my comrades not by birth, but by choice. I will never denigrate an ally, because simply by being an ally, they are at more risk from their fellows than I am.
EDIT: The term ‘righteous amongst the nations’ is used when denoting those gentiles who sheltered, protected, and aided Jews during the Shoah.
- racismschoolstorage reblogged this from racismschool
- nabyss reblogged this from racismschool
- racismschoolstorage likes this
- lizamineliy likes this
- feminist-fairy reblogged this from bathinginrepublicantears
- bathinginrepublicantears reblogged this from racismschool and added:
- bathinginrepublicantears likes this
- dayoftheknight likes this
- upstateorchard likes this
- thetufted reblogged this from racismschool
- amortaldothapproach likes this
- yashayasz likes this
- drucilla-te-amat reblogged this from racismschool
- virgingerroot likes this
- sneaky-dickgrabber likes this
- mangafan15 likes this
- mintygreenelephant likes this
- mintygreenelephant reblogged this from whiteopinionsrwhiteopinions
- redsunrisinginthesky likes this
- the-resident-naru-bat reblogged this from ablogaboutananglerfish
- instantnoodleflavor reblogged this from ablogaboutananglerfish
- ablogaboutananglerfish reblogged this from racismschool
- ablogaboutananglerfish likes this
- conservativecommunist likes this
- zw4929 likes this
- thisisjamesj likes this
- onceagainsheishis likes this
- tofuforlunch likes this
- floydthebarber likes this
- mixstation likes this
- princeofhyenas likes this
- miedodelavida likes this
- x-sunnydragonfly-x reblogged this from racismschool and added:
- satans-left-nipple likes this
- geleleo reblogged this from racismschool
- sun-kissed-ceremonials reblogged this from racismschool
- meeresbande likes this
- wonwherefound likes this
- understandingsleighbells likes this
- thoughtrains reblogged this from racismschool
- softsorcery likes this
- mrbutts likes this
- theangryasianqueer likes this
- incdrop likes this
- ferveurfemme likes this
- queenofinfinitespace likes this
- gaymagics likes this
- homeboundace likes this
- outlaw-monarch likes this